You will find that there are MILLIONS of products to choose from when you start your baby registry. I know as a first time mom, seven years ago, I was overwhelmed by all of the options and choices we would need to make for our precious little bundle of joy! Not only are there lots of different types of things you need, but their are different brands, colors, sizes, etc etc. It’s almost too much to comprehend.
Have no fear my friends… this seasoned momma has a list of top ten products you SHOULD put on your registry. These are things I have used (and am still using) for all four of our children and you can find every single one of these over on The Baby Cubby!
- A good quality baby carrier: Ergobaby Original – We use several different types of carriers for our children. You’ll see us using woven wraps, ring slings and soft structured carriers. It all just depends on where we are and what we are doing. The carrier we reach for the most however is the Ergobaby soft structured carrier. You can use this with the smallest member of your family (in our case, Baby Bear, who is currently 7 weeks old) with an infant insert, to the toddler of your family! Bird just outgrew the Ergo, but we were able to use it up until she was 2 years old! You will also find ring slings and stretchy wraps on this particular website, as well as the newer Ergo carriers that allow you to carry facing out (I prefer to not do so, but to each their own!)
- Swaddle Blankets: Aden + Anais Organic Swaddles – These are by far the BEST swaddle blankets you could own. They are the perfect weight and just the right amount of softness to swaddle your baby. Our older kids also used these for the longest time as their naptime blankets. They are also amazing to use in the car for those times you have to have naptime on the go – you don’t have to worry about them getting overheated under these! They have the most adorable prints, I’m really digging that fox print!
- Nursing Cover : Covered Goods Multi-Use Nursing Cover – If you plan to breastfeed, I always recommend this type of cover. No, it’s not necessary to cover, but I know that I feel most comfortable and more modest if I have the ability to cover. These are great because they also work as a scarf, a car seat cover, and even a shopping cart cover. I know that as a mom of four littles, it’s nice to have one product that has multiple uses!
- Reusable Breast Pads : Bamboobies Nursing Pads – I LOVE these breast pads, not only are they super cute, but they are super absorbent and you can just throw them in the wash so you can use them again and again! I never liked the disposable pads because they irritated my skin, so these were the ticket for me!
- Breast Pump : Medela Pump in Style Advanced – If you plan to breastfeed, even if you choose to exclusively nurse, it’s good to have a high quality pump. Whether you intend to go back to work or if you want to have a stash set aside, the Medela brand pumps are the way to go. I don’t use mine as much now, but with Boogie and Bubby I used them a LOT in the beginning to set up a stash as a backup and to help alleviate some of the engorgement I had with my body getting used to producing milk. It hasn’t been a necessity the third and fourth times, but I still use it occasionally after nights of SLEEP (hallelujah!) when my little doesn’t nurse as often as usual.
- Pacifiers/Pacifier Clips : WubbaNub Pacifier Lovey – Alright, so this isn’t something I thought we would ever use. Boogie, Bubby, and Bird… none of them would take a pacifier. I was their pacifier. Sounds like a blast, right? Well, sweet Bear has thankfully been taking a pacifier a little bit better than his siblings. Mainly in the van, which is a lifesaver because none of our babies have enjoyed being in their car seats at this age! These WubbaNub Loveys are FANTASTIC, they can hug those sweet little stuffed loveys while finding comfort in their pacifiers… perfect. Bear has a blue bear in his Easter basket, but this fox is super cute too!
- Burp Cloths : Aden + Anais Burpy Bibs – Burp cloths are a necessity, especially with Bear (he’s a very happy spitter). These however are another product that have more than one use! Those first 6 months of nursing and burping, you can use these as a burp cloth! Then, once your little starts eating solid foods, you can use it as a bib! How cool is that? And even better, these are the same soft material as the swaddlers I listed above.
- High Quality Body Wash/Lotion: Tubby Todd Lavender Gift Set – This is one of my favorite bath and body products to use with my littles. Tubby Todd is made with plant based ingredients and natural extracts, you can rest assured that they will be gentle on your baby’s skin and they smell AMAZING!
- Soft-Soled Shoes: Freshly Picked Moccasins – When your little starts cruising and taking their first steps, having a soft-soled shoe is ideal. This allows their chubby little feet to continue growing and developing, while still having some protection for the soles of their feet. You may have seen my review of Freshly Picked Moccasins here on my blog. We LOVE these, they are high quality and absolutely adorable.
- Baby Utensils : Re-Play Utensil Set – We actually have lots of Re-Play utensils, cups, and plates, but the utensils… they are seriously the best. They are super sturdy, high quality and they are made from recycled milk jugs! Our kids love how colorful they are, we have purchased a variety of colors. These are perfect for the babies learning to use utensils and your older kids. Boogie, at age 6, still uses these!
These are ten of our MUST HAVE products for all of you new parents out there, it’s possible to keep things simple and still have amazing products that will work for your child… especially those that have multiple functions and long term uses!
This post was sponsored by The Baby Cubby, however all statements and opinions are my own and I truly do recommend every product in this post!
I discovered PinkBlush when I was pregnant with Boogie six years ago, their clothes are high quality and super comfortable during those months of pregnancy when you are already uncomfortable and feeling rather…. large. I’m happy to announce that PinkBlush has offered a $50 gift certificate for the winner of my April giveaway, which will go live this Saturday!
The shirt I chose to review is a short sleeve plus size tunic, this black color is no longer available but you can find it HERE in white and grey. I am in LOVE with this tunic. It’s the perfect shirt to pair with jeans or leggings and this shirt has a stretchy material that is perfect for nursing or will even work as a maternity shirt! I love clothing that works for all stages of a mom’s life – pregnancy, postpartum, nursing, and mom life! I just love that you can find trendy maternity clothes here, sometimes those are hard to find!
The lace on the bottom is gorgeous, it adds just a touch of glamour to an otherwise basic piece. I’m hoping to find a nice belt to cinch this in for other outfits, but otherwise I like it just as it is for leggings/jeans. I can’t wait to try it out again when we get pregnant with Baby #4!
PinkBlush offers so much more than just tunics like these though! They have plus size clothing for maternity and your everyday, regular clothing. They also have regular sizes for maternity and regular clothing, as well nursing attire, baby gear (this includes baby carriers, nursing covers, burp cloths and so much more) AND accessories (shoes, hats, jewelry, etc)! This is your one stop shop mommas, this maternity boutique isn’t limited to just pregnancy!
Whether you are shopping for cute maternity clothes, or just shopping for a new dress or top for date night, you can find everything you need at PinkBlush! Be sure to head over to their site HERE to check out their maternity maxi dresses and more!
I know what you’re thinking. ANOTHER teething necklace review?!? Yes, yes indeed. You’re going to LOVE this necklace though, I promise!
The Vintage Honey Shop was started by two best friends, Jen and Mel thought it would be fun and opened their first etsy shop in 2011. Every necklace is handcrafted and designed to be safe, functional…. and of course, stylish! You will find silicone teething jewelry, fabric teething jewelry (some with wooden nursing rings as seen in my necklace photo above) and daddy teething necklaces. I’ve included a collage of these different styles below, excluding the wooden nursing ring necklace that I’m wearing.
I was very excited when this showed up in my mailbox, first impressions are key when you want to keep your fan base growing… The Vintage Honey Shop doesn’t disappoint. When I pulled my necklace out of the mailing envelope I discovered that the necklace was beautifully wrapped in tissue paper and tied with twine. Beneath the twine was a pretty white paper doily and a card with a cute little pin with a yellow bee printed on it. Upon unwrapping, which I didn’t want to do because it was just so pretty, I found their safety cards, business card and my necklace was tied around their business logo tag. Adorable!
I didn’t get to pick the necklace I would review but they sure nailed it with this one. As you can see, I’m a fan of grey and yellow – that’s my bedspread in the background of the above photos. I received the Sunset Floral Ring Teething Necklace, you can see closer details of this gorgeous necklace below.
The quality of this necklace is superb. The wooden ring is so smooth, the fabric is beautiful and soft, every detail is perfect. You can really tell that The Vintage Honey Shop takes great pride in their products, it truly shows in their workmanship. Baby Bird is a fan, she especially liked the wooden ring as it’s easy for her to grab and easy for her to chew on when I’m wearing her (even on my back!).
You will find all of The Vintage Honey Shop’s social media sites below, and be sure to check out their website HERE. Order your own beautiful necklace and use the coupon code VHSHARE for 15% off your order!
You never know what challenges you might face when you dive into the mommy world of breastfeeding. Some women face over supply issues, some face limited supply issues, some moms endure the pains of mastitis and clogged milk ducts. Then you have babies with latch issues, allergies, premature…. the list goes on and on! I’ve been blessed, while I had a major case of over supply issues with Boogie, I figured out how to maintain and regulate my milk production with Bubby and Bird. I’ve figured out how my body works and can trigger more supply or less supply. Aren’t our bodies amazing? So, here are 10 ways to help increase your milk supply. I hope to post another blog entry about decreasing supply and maintaining your supply later on!
- Water, water, water, water, water. Do you hear me? Drink your water! The more you nurse the thirstier you will be, the more you drink the more milk you can produce! Stay hydrated mama!
- Supply and demand! Put that baby to breast as frequently as possible in the beginning! Nurse every chance you get, your baby will not eat more than they need. And bonus, if they nurse for comfort your body will learn to produce more milk!
- Pump between nursing. With Boogie I was so worried about not having enough milk that I did this after every nursing session. For me, that was a mistake because I was already over producing, so then I pumped and pumped and I was engorged ALL. THE. TIME. So get in tune with your body. If you feel like you’re truly not producing enough, pump! Not only will it help your supply but you’ll build up a stock pile if you plan on bottle feeding at any point or to use in a sippy cup later on! I recommend THIS pump (affiliate link). Please note that pumping is not a good indication for how much milk you are producing. A pump cannot identically mimic a nursing baby and your baby is most likely getting more milk from you than the pump is!
- In those precious first weeks of nursing, and even the first few months really. Take a “vacation” with your baby, lay in the bed, cuddle, snuggle and nurse. Hold him/her skin to skin and just make spending time with your sweet baby your priority. It’s amazing how our bodies become in tune with our little ones just by being close to them.
- Avoid bottles and pacifiers for a while! I know, I know… it’s so convenient to just pop a binky in their mouth, but YOU need to become the pacifier while you increase your supply! So just pack those bottles and pacifiers away for a while, you can always introduce them again later! (Or if you are a glutton for punishment like me, you’ll never introduce them and be a pacifier and milk machine for 18+months…. hehe…)
- Switch breasts! Go back and forth and try to offer each breast at least once during each nursing session. If possible switch back to the first breast to comfort nurse.
- Eat oatmeal! Not only is a classic bowl of oatmeal an ultimate comfort food, but it’s also full of iron. If you have low iron or anemic that could be causing your low supply issues and oatmeal can help! You can eat a hot bowl of oatmeal, make lactation cookies from oats! I like THIS recipe from How Sweet It Is. You can also buy them premade, like THESE from Milk Makers (affiliate link).
- Take your prenatals! I know… I hate those things. I don’t like those giant pills, and the “tiny” ones aren’t much better. You can get gummy prenatals like THESE (affiliate link), those are the best tasting in my opinion! Or you can try the “tiny” ones if you’re not into the gummies and want to avoid the horse pills, HERE is my favorite brand! (affiliate link)
- Last resort, take a supplement. One of the most popular is Fenugreek, but please speak to your midwife, obstetrician or lactation consultant prior to trying this! You’ll smell like maple syrup for a while, but if you need that extra boost, this is the way to go!
- Most importantly, take time to take care of YOU. Ask someone to come over and help you with the baby so you can take a long shower, a bath, go on an outting alone…. whatever it is you need to relax and wind down.
I have been pregnant or breastfeeding for over 5 years now… yea… really. No breaks in between, I’ve either been one or the other this ENTIRE time. So, nursing pads are a big deal for me. I tend to need them even when I’m pregnant, so it’s important to have nursing pads that are gentle on my skin and very absorbent!
These are FANTASTIC. They are organic bamboo nursing pads that have 3x more absorption than your basic nursing pads, not only that but they are handmade, lightweight and super soft. These are quite possibly the BEST nursing pads I’ve ever used, and I’ve tried a LOT of nursing pads. They are the softest and most absorbent of any pad I’ve used.
You can purchase these pads in a set of 8 for $14.95 at Amazon.
Disclaimer: I received a set of free nursing pads in return for an honest and unbiased review. All opinions and statements are my own.